Thursday, May 6, 2010

Large Church, Small Church, Home Church, Steepled Church

I recently have encountered some criticism of large traditional churches, also known by some as Institutional Churches. I am part of a small local church, and we mostly meet in homes, however I think we need a word of caution.

When I first committed my heart to the lord, 40 years ago, I searched for a church that got excited over the new birth, and encouraged personal growth, and Bible study. Though, most certainly, there were some, I was unable to locate a church with all those attributes.

My formative years as a young believer was in home groups. Today they are often called cell churches, while the ones I attended long ago were often referred to as twigs, as part of a branch and tree or vine. I found love, acceptance, and encouragement in our small groups. We prayed together, worshiped our father, son, and holy spirit, and read and studied the Bible. We were a tightly knit community of believers and I loved one another.

A couple of years later, along with some others in our community, I hooked up with charismatic group run by two nuns. One was Catholic and one Episcopalian. Though I enjoyed the sweet fellowship with the eclectic group, I was disillusioned by their sometimes praying to Mary and some other doctrinal differences. I believe the Bible. Mary was indeed blessed, and found favor with our Father and as a virgin conceived our savior Jesus Christ, but that same Bible says there is one mediator between God and man...Jesus Christ. We are further exhorted to beseech our Father in the name of Jesus Christ. A careful study confirmed that I am never to pray to anyone but the Father, through Jesus Christ. He is the only one seated at the right hand of God the Father. Father, son, and Holy Spirit were present from the beginning, and no one else.


One day while feeling alone and seeking the lord, I was walking out in the woods, admiring His marvelous creation. When I returned to my car, some of the emotional pain was still hounding me. I had a great sense of loss that I struggled with, in my personal life. My broken heart was in need of healing and I had no real depth of understanding about how it may be healed. I also desired to be part of something larger, to be able to be part of a more complete outreach, etc.

Returning from my hike, and praying in the spirit, I drove my car somewhat aimlessly along some back roads of Greene County, NY. There, on a hill in Lexington, I saw a "revival tent meeting" sign. Impulsively I attended. I don't recall the message, but Pastor Steve Moore was preaching, and it lined up with what I believed about salvation and walking with the lord.

Lexington Full Gospel Tabernacle became my home church, and through several pastors who came and went, and the rest of the community, I was lovingly nurtured, and encouraged to grow in the faith. The sense of community was what I probably loved most. We met each other's needs in many ways. We fellowshipped in each other's homes, gladly cooking for and serving one another. The men built a new sanctuary, a parsonage, and we established a school for the children. Qualified members operated the school. Wood was supplied by a brother who had cleared land when building homes in his construction company, and the men chopped and split it, to heat the church and school, and most of our homes. Drew and I shared home grown produce, eggs, and meat with other church members. Vehicles were shared and given, groceries were shared with families, etc.

We were not without our problems, being far from perfect. Some, by some of today's doctrines may consider some of the standards we maintained as legalism. We believed (and still do) in, tithing to maintain the "institution." Money provided equipment, paid bills, and salaries, ran the school, etc. We were also held to dress codes if we were to be in ministry, such as worship team, or youth ministry. We were all exhorted to participate in some aspect of the "ecclesia" church, and to move in the spiritual gifts, and encouraged to allow the fruit of the spirit manifest. We were all expected to help clean, and maintain our church/school property.

Since that time, Drew and I have moved and have been part of various churches, all of which had beautiful qualities that mirrored the image of Christ. None were perfect. No longer were we participating in home groups, yet we continued to grow in faith.

For the past 6 or 7 years we have once again been part of home groups. It's been kind of a full circle. I now see a massive trend in the direction and I like the trend. My biggest concern at this point is hearing criticism, in some circles, of the more traditional churches. People are talking about hurts they've sustained in larger churches. I understand, that people hurt people. Most certainly I have not been immune to Christians hurting other Christians. But we must never forget that so often it is individuals and not necessarily "the church" doing the hurting. Some of my deepest hurts came while in a home group. Judgments, criticism, legalism, all of it can just as easily operate in any size church of any denomination, all made up of individuals. "Where there is no oxen, the stalls are clean."

Clearly I prefer personal, intimate relationships within the Christian community, I am simply hoping to perhaps remind a few that we need to be cautious. If you have found a small group to fellowship with, and have that sense of community, you are blessed. Please just use discretion when talking about any other church of believers, whether they are large or small.

I am not speaking to anyone in particular, but to a trend I have noticed developing. Some of the larger churches are meeting in smaller groups also. Church as many know it, may change radically in the coming times. Let's not us alienate anyone or any group by criticizing them, judging their way of doing things. Let's concentrate on building our communities, and being available to assist others when they want to try the same thing.

Forgive those who have hurt you. We are called to love one another, and pray for one another. No need to prove who is right or wrong.

Love is of God.


Grayce Pedulla Dillon © 2010 <3 +

Sooo, fellowship was sweet, but we were still freezing. We just huddled close. We met in a block building without heat. This is FLORIDA!!!
Sisters for eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment